*this post may contain affiliate links
When making most crochet hats, we usually have to choose between warm and cute. Achieving both is very difficult. Not so with this super easy pattern! With the chunky yarn this hat is super warm for these cold Canadian winters, but it is also super cute with the little embellishing camel stitches, faux fur pom pom and a little button if you wish!
The best part about this pattern is that it is customizable to any size, as long as you know the head circumference and height you are wanting to achieve. Hence, why I called it “Everyone’s Favourite”. If you don’t have a measurement of the head you are trying to fit, I love this quick chart from Annie’s Picture Perfect to give you an estimate for head circumference and height for all ages and genders.
The pattern uses single crochet, half double crochet, and also a single crochet into the third loop of the previous rows half double crochet (basically a camel stitch but done as a single crochet). If you are unfamiliar with the camel stitch, check out my blog post for my camel stitch scarf here!
Free pattern is available below, but click here for an ad-free printer friendly version for just $1.50 CAD.
Chunky Crochet Beanie
What you will need:
- Size 9mm crochet hook
- Super Bulky yarn, or #6 weight yarn – I used Bernat Wool-up Bulky in Taupe (also shown is a hat in dark grey)
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
- Optional: Pom pom and a button for finishing. I found awesome pompoms from Amazon that I highly recommend! Very affordable, come in tons of colours, and they come with a snap on attachment for easy removal for washing! Available at both Canadian and U.S. Amazon sites, just click the links below!
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- sc3loop – single crochet into the third loop of the stitch
- hdc – half double crochet
- slst – slip stitch
Row 1: sc in the 2nd ch from hook, sc in each stitch across, ch 1 and turn (4)
Row 2: sc in the back loop only across, ch 1 and turn (4)
Repeat row 2 until your band is the desired length.
Slst the two short ends of the band together.
- continue without cutting your yarn and tying off, just work off of your last slst in the band and work around the band
- the ch 1 at the beginning of each row does not count as your first stitch
Row 1: Ch 1 (does not count as your first stitch), sc evenly around the band, join with slst to the first sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in each stitch around, slst to the first hdc.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc3loop in each stitch around, slst to the first sc.
Repeat row 2 and 3 until your hat is approximately 2 inches shorter than the desired final height.
Top of the hat:
Row 1-2: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around, slst to the first sc.
Row 3: Ch 1, (sc, sc2tog) around hat.
Fasten off and turn your hat inside out. Cut a 15″ piece of yarn and begin a running st through the sts at the top of the hat. Once you get back to where your yarn strand begins, pull the two yarn ends tight which will pinch your hat together. Tie a tight knot. Weave in all ends.
Optional: Attach a pom pom or a cute little button for something extra!
Hope you enjoy the pattern, and you can finally keep those ears warm and cozy while still looking cute!